Market Readiness: Farm to School Webinar Registration (6/13/2022) - Click here to register: Webinar Registration
Press Release: McCrory Administration Could Force Fracking on Hundreds (4/14/2016) - A North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality study released in November 2015 recommends a 60 percent forced pooling threshold and claims the State currently has authority to force pool landowners at much lower thresholds.
Recording of Oil and Gas Leasing in North Carolina Webinar (8/31/2015) - In recent years, some NC landowners have been presented with the opportunity to sign oil and gas leases, which give companies the right to conduct hydraulic fracturing (fracking). At the same time, lawmakers have debated the merits of active oil and gas industries in NC, leading to new laws and regulations governing the industries.
Action Alert: Ban Forced Pooling in NC (4/14/2015) - The North Carolina House will begin debating HB 586 this week. The bill would ban forced pooling in North Carolina and take additional steps to protect landowners from unwanted activity on their property.
NCGA Members Lift Fracking Moratorium (3/17/2015) - Regulations developed by the NC Mining and Energy Commission (MEC) to govern natural gas development through hydraulic fracturing go into effect today, ending North Carolina’s moratorium on fracking permits. The door is now open for oil and gas companies to bring permit applications to the NC Department of Environment and Natural Resources and the MEC.
Final Fracking Regulations Do Not Adequately Protect North Carolina (11/25/2014) - Since 2011, North Carolina has engaged in a legislative and administrative process designed to establish a system of governance for natural gas development, known as fracking.
NC Mining & Energy Commission Releases “Hearing Officers’ Report” on Draft Fracking Rules (11/6/2014) - Yesterday, the North Carolina Mining and Energy Commission (MEC) released the Hearing Officers’ Report written in response to public comments on MEC draft fracking rules.
Action Alert: NC Fracking Rules Comment Period Opens (7/23/2014) - Earlier this summer, the North Carolina Mining and Energy Commission (MEC) completed the drafting of hydraulic fracturing rules. It is critical that MEC members hear from landowners and other North Carolinians with their thoughts and comments on the draft rules. Comments will be accepted between July 15 and September 15, 2014.
Action Alert: NC General Assembly and Governor Fast-track Fracking (6/6/2014) - [Expired Action Alert] June 2014 - Thank you for taking action last week against SB 786, also known as the Energy Modernization Act. Unfortunately, the General Assembly voted to fast-track fracking.
Action Alert: NC Legislators Take Reckless Step Toward Fracking (SB 786) (5/22/2014) - Once again, North Carolina legislators are trying to move North Carolina closer to fracking by pre-approving rules written by the Mining and Energy Commission. Take action now!
Lee County Homeowners Fight Fracking (3/24/2014) - A radio story for Carolina Connection highlights how mineral rights leases are obtained by gas companies, which can put a drill on someone's land without the landowner's consent.
Landowner Workshop Dec. 14 in Sanford, NC (12/2/2013) - On December 14th, RAFI is co-sponsoring a workshop in Sanford, NC, for landowners who have leased their land, those considering a lease and anyone concerned about landowner rights and the impacts of natural gas and hydrofracking.
Hydraulic Fracturing: Where are we Now? (Presentation) (9/13/2013) - Because of the NC’s compulsory pooling law, RAFI and other advocates were concerned about the potential threats to landowner rights. The “Hydraulic Fracturing: Where Are We Now?,” presentation embedded below provides a brief overview of hydraulic fracturing, or “fracking”, as well as in-depth analysis of compulsory pooling. The presentation was authored by RAFI Research & […]
Recent Media Coverage:
- Driller apparently wants to frack Meadowmont in Chapel Hill, INDY Week’s News Blog, July 23, 2014
- Fracking company makes offers in Durham, INDY Week’s News Blog, July 22, 2014
- N.C. fracking board member zings advisory group, News & Observer, February 2, 2013
- Head of cleanup company guides N.C. ‘fracking’ rules, blasts advisory panel as unqualified. Winston-Salem Journal, Jan. 26, 2013
- Carolina Farm Stewardship Association’s 2012 Awards. Activist of the Year: Rural Advancement Foundation International, October 2012
- What can Landowners and Communities Do About Fracking? TreeHugger, February 2012
- Would Fracking in NC Include Consumer Protections? Public News Service, February 2012
- Fracking session to over landowner rights and protections. News & Observer, April 2012
- Woes of fracking fill air at summit, News & Observer, September 2011
- Fracking: Leases are Very Complex. The Pilot, August 2011
- N.C. landowners signing one-sided agreements with fracking companies, Indyweek, May 2011