In 2015, in partnership with the Kate B. Reynolds Charitable Trust, we launched the Fresh Bucks consumer incentive program; which doubles the buying power of EBT shoppers at participating farmers’ markets. In 2016 and 2017, more markets joined the Fresh Bucks program, and returning markets saw dramatic growth. RAFI-USA expanded the Fresh Bucks program in 2019 through funding from the USDA FINI grant program.
Current Market Partners Include:
- Access Connect Mobile Market, Greenville, NC
- Durham Co-op Market, Durham, NC
- Edenton Farmers Market, Edenton, NC
- GRRO Mobile Market, Henderson, NC
- Garysburg Farmers Market, Garysburg, NC
- Historic Marion Tailgate Market, Marion, NC
- Lenoir County Farmers Market, Kinston, NC
- Local Motive Mobile Market, Wilmington, NC
- Market Square Farmers Market, Reidsville, NC
- Morganton Farmers Market, Morganton, NC
- Nash County Farmers Market, Rocky Mount, NC
- Spring Lake Farmers and Heritage Market, Spring Lake, NC
- Washington District Market, Washington, NC
- Windsor Farmers Market, Windsor, NC
- Wilmington Farmers Market at Tidal Creek, Wilmington, NC
What are Fresh Bucks?
Fresh Bucks tokens are extra market dollars for SNAP/EBT users to spend on fresh fruits and vegetables at the market. Fresh Bucks double the buying power of SNAP/EBT users at the market. For each dollar a SNAP user withdraws from their account to spend at the market, they will be matched an additional dollar, up to a total of $20 Fresh Bucks.
Pictured: Front & Back of Fresh Bucks Tokens
How Farmers Market Customers Can Use Fresh Bucks:
- Similar to SNAP/EBT tokens, Fresh Bucks tokens come in $1 increments and no change is given.
- Eligible items: fresh fruits and vegetables only.
- Fresh Bucks tokens do not expire until the end of the market season. If a customer does not use all of their tokens one day, they can bring them back on their next visit!
- Fresh Bucks tokens can be matched up to $20, once per market day.
- If you live near one of these markets, please spread the word to friends, family and community members.
- Support RAFI-USA with a donation to support our program.
Farmers Market Technical Assistance:
Although RAFI-USA is only able to partner with 12-15 local markets each year to offer the Fresh Bucks program, we are available to help markets assess other strategies to help increase food access for customers. For technical assistance on:
- Accepting SNAP/EBT at the farmers market
- POS terminal equipment options
- Building up market capacity
- Fundraising and sponsorships for incentive programs
- Or other food access strategies
contact Lisa at [email protected].
Made possible through the USDA-NIFA Food Insecurity Nutrition Incentive program. For additional information contact RAFI-USA at: (919) 542-1396 or [email protected]