In 2015, in partnership with the Kate B. Reynolds Charitable Trust, RAFI-USA launched the Fresh Bucks consumer incentive program which doubles the buying power of EBT shoppers at participating farmers markets. In 2016 and 2017, more markets joined the Fresh Bucks program, and returning markets saw dramatic growth. RAFI-USA expanded the Fresh Bucks program in 2019 through funding from the USDA FINI grant program.
Current Market Partners Include:
- Access Connect Mobile Market, Greenville, NC
- Durham Co-op Market, Durham, NC
- Edenton Farmers Market, Edenton, NC
- GRRO Mobile Market, Henderson, NC
- Garysburg Farmers Market, Garysburg, NC
- Historic Marion Tailgate Market, Marion, NC
- Lenoir County Farmers Market, Kinston, NC
- Local Motive Mobile Market, Wilmington, NC
- Market Square Farmers Market, Reidsville, NC
- Morganton Farmers Market, Morganton, NC
- Nash County Farmers Market, Rocky Mount, NC
- Spring Lake Farmers and Heritage Market, Spring Lake, NC
- Washington District Market, Washington, NC
- Windsor Farmers Market, Windsor, NC
- Wilmington Farmers Market at Tidal Creek, Wilmington, NC
What are Fresh Bucks?
Fresh Bucks tokens are extra market dollars for SNAP/EBT users to spend on fresh fruits and vegetables at the market. Fresh Bucks double the buying power of SNAP/EBT users at the market. For each dollar a SNAP user withdraws from their account to spend at the market, they will be matched an additional dollar, up to a total of $20 Fresh Bucks.
Pictured: Front & Back of Fresh Bucks Tokens
How Farmers Market Customers Can Use Fresh Bucks
- Similar to SNAP/EBT tokens, Fresh Bucks tokens come in $1 increments and no change is given.
- Eligible items: fresh fruits and vegetables only.
- Fresh Bucks tokens do not expire until the end of the market season. If a customer does not use all of their tokens one day, they can bring them back on their next visit!
- Fresh Bucks tokens can be matched up to $20, once per market day.
- If you live near one of these markets, please spread the word to friends, family, and community members.
- Support RAFI-USA with a donation to support our program.
Farmers Market Technical Assistance
Although RAFI-USA is only able to partner with 12-15 local markets each year to offer the Fresh Bucks program, we are available to help markets assess other strategies to help increase food access for customers. For technical assistance on:
- Accepting SNAP/EBT at the farmers market
- POS terminal equipment options
- Building up market capacity
- Fundraising and sponsorships for incentive programs
- Or other food access strategies
Made possible through the USDA-NIFA Food Insecurity Nutrition Incentive program. For additional information contact RAFI-USA at: 919.542.1396 or [email protected]