The Rural Advancement Foundation International-USA’s mission is to challenge the root causes of unjust food systems, supporting and advocating for economically, racially, and ecologically just farm communities. We envision a thriving, sustainable, and equitable food system: where farmers and farm workers have dignity and agency; where they are supported by just agricultural policies; where corporations and institutions are accountable to their community. RAFI-USA is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization based in Pittsboro, North Carolina, and incorporated in 1990. We are currently seeking a part-time bookkeeper with previous experience working for a nonprofit organization.
- Maintain proper financial records.
- Process bills and reimbursement requests ensuring proper account and funder coding.
- Ensure bills entered and paid promptly.
- Process and deposit checks. Make deposits and maintain files with supporting documentation.
- Perform monthly reconciliation of all accounts.
- Maintain up-to-date customer and vendor accounts in QB.
- Maintain staff credit cards, including coordinating with staff to facilitate receipt collection and ensuring proper account coding. Review credit card expense reports and reconciles credit card account on a monthly basis.
- Run payroll twice a month.
- Make monthly 401k deposits of employee contributions.
- Work with Development Manager to reconcile donations against deposits. Ensure deposits are split accurately by income source.
- Other relevant duties as needed.
Job Hours: Approx. 20 hrs per week
- You are a self-starter.
- You have at least 2 years of full-charge bookkeeping experience with a nonprofit organization and understand the full accounting cycle.
- You are proficient in basic to intermediate bookkeeping functions.
- You are exceptionally detail-oriented and accurate.
- You have excellent project management skills and are able to track the status of multiple tasks and projects at once.
- You have strong communication skills and communicate effectively with colleagues to get your work done.
- You are comfortable learning new technologies with limited support.
- You are comfortable working in a fast-paced, nonprofit work environment.
- You have experience with Quickbooks Desktop.
- You are familiar with Excel and/or Google Sheets, and G Suite/Google Workspace
- You support our mission and share our commitment to social justice and racial justice.
Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter and professional references. We will be accepting applications until the position is filled.
RAFI-USA values an equitable and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer with a deep commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBTQ persons, and other individuals from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other historically marginalized backgrounds are encouraged to apply. RAFI-USA is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental handicap, matriculation, or political affiliation.