Pittsboro, North Carolina, United States | Challenging Corporate Power | Full-time | Partially remote
Rural Advancement Foundation International-USA (RAFI-USA) seeks a committed individual to engage with farmers and other stakeholders for the Challenging Corporate Power Program. The program works to hold large-scale industrial animal agriculture corporations accountable for their extractive model and to help build the alternative: a resilient system where farmers and workers have power and independence, and where community sovereignty of food systems contributes to the long-term economic and environmental well-being of those involved.
The primary role of the program coordinator will be to build relationships with farmers and other stakeholders impacted by the corporate industrial model of meat production, as well as those working to build alternative systems. The coordinator will also collaborate with organizational partners, contribute to program communications, and help connect stakeholders to federal and state policy, especially legislative and regulatory issues relating to livestock and industrial meat production. This position requires travel.
Please note: RAFI-USA’s vision of a sustainable and equitable food system includes resilient and regenerative small-scale animal agriculture. Candidates applying for this position should be comfortable advocating for sustainable animal agriculture as part of RAFI-USA’s overall goals.
RAFI-USA is a nonprofit organization dedicated to challenging the root causes of unjust food systems, and supporting and advocating for economically, racially, and ecologically just farm communities. We envision a thriving, sustainable, and equitable food system: Where farmers and farmworkers have dignity and agency; where they are supported by just agricultural policies; where corporations and institutions are accountable to their community. The RAFI-USA office is located in Pittsboro, NC. For more information about RAFI-USA, visit www.rafiusa.org.
- Represent RAFI-USA and work collaboratively and alongside poultry and livestock producers, particularly contract producers, small-scale producers and producers of color, to build mutually beneficial, long-term working relationships and to engage farmers and ranchers in group calls and other activities to impact legislative and regulatory policy to ensure a more just food system.
- Develop strong and mutually beneficial relationships with external partner organizations (local, state, regional, and national) and collaborate effectively with these partners and with farmers and ranchers to advocate for a resilient system where farmers and workers have power and independence, and where community sovereignty of food systems contributes to the long-term economic and environmental well-being of those involved.
- Work collaboratively with RAFI-USA’s internal Policy Team and the Challenging Corporate Power Program staff to generate livestock- and poultry-related policy recommendations and to analyze proposed policy and regulations.
- Use appropriate technology and platforms to educate and engage concerned members of the general public in digital advocacy for agricultural reform policy via action alerts, comment campaigns, and more.
- Relying on strong written and verbal communication skills, work with RAFI-USA communications staff to develop content to disseminate to RAFI-USA constituencies, local, state and national partners, and the general public.
- Adhere to and respect the organization’s policies and procedures including submission of reports on timely basis, attendance at required meetings, etc.
- A proven track record of working collaboratively with a variety of people and organizations to impact policy and build cooperative community relationships and coalitions.
- Knowledge of and experience with the livestock industry and rural development issues that affect contract producers, small-scale farmers and ranchers and producers of color; knowledge of how government policies and programs impact these constituencies. Demonstrate a solid basic understanding of how the government operates with regard to agriculture issues.
- Proven verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills that are effective with people of varying backgrounds, educational attainment.
- Technological fluency and record of success with digital advocacy.
- Commitment to teamwork and ability to proficiently function independently. Self-starter; self-directed work style.
- Strong commitment to corporate agriculture reform and RAFI-USA’s mission and values.
- Willingness to ask questions, learn in front of others, and acknowledge when additional learning and new information is required to function optimally in this position.
- Ability to navigate conflict with self-awareness and clear communication; ability to constructively give and receive critical feedback.
- Appreciation and capacity for detail-oriented work.
- Experience working in a nonprofit environment is a plus.
- Prefer candidate with demonstrated track record of medium- or long-term tenure with prior employers (i.e. 3-4 years in same position).
- Applicants must demonstrate a proven track record of cultural competency and have a sound equity analysis and understanding of the history and challenges of farmers of color.
Compensation: Full-time position. Annual salary of $44,444, based on 40 hours/week. Generous benefits package includes paid time off, 401k, medical, dental, life, and long/short term disability insurance plans.
Type: Full-time with benefits; grant-funded. Grant-funded positions are contingent on the renewal of funding. Candidates local to the Triangle area of NC preferred; however this position could be performed remotely from NC, SC, VA, TN, or GA with travel to meet with farmers/producers/partner organizations and occasionally to RAFI-USA’s office in Pittsboro, NC.
We will be accepting applications until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
RAFI-USA values an equitable and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer with a deep commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBTQ persons, and other individuals from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other historically marginalized backgrounds are encouraged to apply. RAFI-USA is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental handicap, matriculation, or political affiliation .Apply