Pittsboro, North Carolina, United States | Challenging Corporate Power | Full-time | Partially remote
Rural Advancement Foundation International-USA (RAFI-USA) seeks a passionate individual to manage the Challenging Corporate Power Program. The program works to hold large-scale industrial animal agriculture corporations accountable for their extractive model, and to help build the alternative: a resilient system where farmers and workers have power and independence, and where community sovereignty of food systems contributes to the long-term economic and environmental well-being of those involved.
The Manager will focus on three areas:
- federal and state policy — especially legislative and regulatory issues relating to livestock and industrial meat production — and how policies impact poultry and livestock producers, particularly small-scale producers and producers of color, and other constituencies RAFI-USA serves;
- collaborative work with a wide variety of interest groups to advocate for corporate agriculture reform and a more just food system;
- clear and effective communication about legislative and regulatory issues related to livestock and industrial meat production with RAFI-USA staff and externally with poultry and livestock producers, particularly small-scale producers and producers of color, and RAFI-USA’s community partners and organizational collaborators.
RAFI-USA is a nonprofit organization dedicated to challenging the root causes of unjust food systems, and supporting and advocating for economically, racially, and ecologically just farm communities. We envision a thriving, sustainable, and equitable food system: Where farmers and farmworkers have dignity and agency; where they are supported by just agricultural policies; where corporations and institutions are accountable to their community. The RAFI-USA office is located in Pittsboro, NC. For more information about RAFI-USA, visit www.rafiusa.org.
- Represent RAFI-USA and work collaboratively and alongside poultry and livestock producers, particularly small-scale producers and producers of color, to build mutually beneficial, long-term working relationships and to engage farmers and ranchers in group calls and other activities to impact legislative and regulatory policy to ensure a more just food system.
- Work collaboratively with RAFI-USA’s internal Policy Team and other RAFI-USA staff to generate livestock- and poultry-related policy recommendations and to analyze proposed policy and regulations. Monitor and respond to policy developments which impact livestock and industrial meat production and small-scale farmers and ranchers.
- Use appropriate technology and platforms to educate and engage concerned members of the general public in digital advocacy for agricultural reform policy via action alerts, comment campaigns, and more.
- Develop strong and mutually beneficial relationships with external partner organizations (local, state, regional, and national) and collaborate effectively with these partners and with farmers and ranchers to advocate for a resilient system where farmers and workers have power and independence, and where community sovereignty of food systems contributes to the long-term economic and environmental well-being of those involved.
- Relying on strong written and verbal communication skills, work with RAFI-USA communications staff to develop content to disseminate to RAFI-USA constituencies, local, state and national partners, and the general public.
- Assist with grant reporting and RAFI-USA Board of Directors reporting as needed.
- Adhere to and respect the organization’s policies and procedures including submission of reports on timely basis, attendance at required meetings, etc.
- A proven track record of working collaboratively with a variety of people and organizations to impact policy and build cooperative community relationships and coalitions.
- Knowledge of and experience with federal and state agriculture policy (particularly the livestock industry) and rural development issues that affect small-scale farmers and ranchers and producers of color; knowledge of how government policies and programs impact these constituencies.
- Demonstrate a solid basic understanding of how the government operates with regard to agriculture issues and be aware of livestock and industrial meat production policy, legislative and regulatory issues on the state and federal level.
- Proven verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills that are effective with people of varying backgrounds, educational attainment, and time.
- Technological fluency and record of success with digital advocacy.
- Commitment to teamwork and ability to proficiently function independently. Self-starter; self-directed work style.
- Strong commitment to corporate agriculture reform and RAFI-USA’s mission and values.
- Willingness to ask questions, learn in front of others, and acknowledge when additional learning and new information is required to function optimally in this position.
- Ability to navigate conflict with self-awareness and clear communication; ability to constructively give and receive critical feedback.
- Appreciation and capacity for detail-oriented work.
- Experience working in a nonprofit environment is a plus.
- Prefer candidate with demonstrated track record of medium- or long-term tenure with prior employers (i.e. 3-4 years in same position).
- Applicants must demonstrate a proven track record of cultural competency and have a sound equity analysis and understanding of the history and challenges of farmers of color.
Compensation: Full time position. Annual salary of $53,200, based 40 hours/week and an hourly rate of $25.61, Generous benefits package includes paid time off, 401k, and option to participate in health and dental, life or long/short term disability insurance plans.
Type: Full-time with benefits; grant-funded. Grant-funded positions are contingent on renewal of grant. This position could be performed remotely from NC, SC, VA, TN, or GA with travel to meet with farmers/producers/partner organizations and occasionally to RAFI-USA’s office in Pittsboro, NC.
How to Apply: Click here to apply online.
We will be accepting applications until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
RAFI-USA values an equitable and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer with a deep commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBTQ persons, and other individuals from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other historically marginalized backgrounds are encouraged to apply. RAFI-USA is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental handicap, matriculation, or political affiliation.