Rural Advancement Foundation International-USA (RAFI-USA) seeks a talented individual to provide high-level technical assistance and program coordination for direct marketing farmers of color and local food markets. This individual will work as part of the Expanding Farmers Market Access and Farmers of Color Network teams to support the creation of alternative local food markets for food producers and farmers of color.
The Program Coordinator will work under the supervision of the Director of Farmer Outreach and Technical Assistance.
RAFI-USA is a nonprofit organization dedicated to cultivating markets, policies, and communities that sustain thriving, socially just, and environmentally sound family farms. The RAFI-USA office is located in Pittsboro, NC. For more information about RAFI-USA, visit www.rafiusa.org.
- Coordinate programmatic components and support administrative tasks associated with the U.S. Department of Agriculture Farmers Market Promotion Program (USDA FMPP) grant in partnership with the project team.
- Provide individualized technical assistance and coordinate alternative market solutions for direct marketing farmers through online sales, farm-to-church sales, and collaborative farmer distribution models.
- Collaborate with RAFI-USA staff and external stakeholders to build mutually beneficial, long-term working relationships between local farmers and new markets.
- Coordinate project data tracking, evaluation, and reporting requirements for participating farmers’ markets and farmers; and analyze and report on program activities and performance to funders and stakeholders.
- Collaborate on grant applications and assist with fundraising as needed.
- Adhere to and respect the organization’s policies and procedures including submission of reports on a timely basis, attendance at required meetings, etc.
- Experience in local food production and marketing
- Knowledge of and experience with various direct to consumer/local food marketing channels
- Understanding of issues related to food security, food sovereignty, and urban/rural economies
- Effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Success in working collaboratively and building cooperative community relationships
- Familiarity with agriculture or rural development-related state and federal funding opportunities a plus
- Experience with program evaluation and grant writing a plus
- Experience working in a nonprofit environment a plus
- Applicants must demonstrate a proven track record of cultural competency and power analysis, especially when working with people of color, low-wealth communities, rural communities, people with limited English proficiency (LEP), and veterans; demonstrate the ability to foster cooperation and connection with communities around their local food system.
Compensation: Full-time position. The annual salary of $47,050 based on 40 hours/week. Generous benefits package includes paid time off, 401k, medical, dental, life, and long/short term disability insurance plans. The position is funded through a two-year federal cooperative agreement. This position is fully grant-funded through September 2023. Grant-funded positions are contingent on the renewal of the grant.
Location: Candidates local to the Triangle area of North Carolina strongly preferred. Position not suitable for fully remote work. Some travel to the Pittsboro, NC office is required.
How to Apply: Click here to apply online.
RAFI-USA’s workplace policies require all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless medical or religious exemptions are present.
Rural Advancement Foundation International-USA (RAFI-USA) challenges the root causes of unjust food systems, supporting and advocating for economically, racially, and ecologically just farm communities. We envision a thriving, sustainable, and equitable food system where farmers and farm workers have dignity and agency; where they are supported by just agricultural policies; and where corporations and institutions are accountable to their community.
RAFI-USA values an equitable and inclusive workplace. We are deeply committed to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBTQ persons, and other individuals from diverse backgrounds. Research shows that often women and people from underrepresented groups only apply to jobs for which they meet 100% of the qualifications. RAFI-USA is interested in attracting a diverse pool of candidates who have managed complex projects or programs, supported farmers, and want to contribute as a part of a dedicated, hard-working, collaborative team, driven by equity. You need not check every box. If much of this describes you, we encourage you to apply.
RAFI-USA is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental handicap, matriculation, or political affiliation.