Pittsboro, North Carolina, United States | Full-time
Rural Advancement Foundation International-USA (RAFI-USA) seeks a talented individual to provide resources and support to farmers across the Southeast who are applying for FSA loans or requesting assistance with farm financial planning. The Farmer Resource Advocate will work under the supervision of the Director of Farmer Outreach and Technical Assistance.
RAFI-USA is a nonprofit organization dedicated to challenging the root causes of unjust food systems, supporting and advocating for economically, racially, and ecologically just farm communities. The RAFI-USA office is located in Pittsboro, NC.
Compensation: Full-time position. Annual salary of $47,050 based on 40 hours/week. Generous benefits package includes paid time off, 401k, medical, dental, life, and long/short term disability insurance plans.
- Respond to farmer referrals and provide one-on-one technical assistance to BIPOC farmers in the Southeast on topics including, but not limited to: acquiring a Farm Number, submitting a FSA loan application (microloan, operating, ownership), restructuring an existing loan, learning more about their fiscal and borrower responsibilities, etc.
- Farmer Technical Assistance: assess farmers’ needs, listen to concerns, present options, provide relevant information, support preparation of applications, follow-up on farmers’ progress, and refer to other organizations and agencies when necessary. Some assistance may require in-person visits if within a reasonable driving distance.
- Record farmer information, technical assistance given, outcome of technical assistance, and other evaluation metrics according to RAFI-USA’s technical assistance procedures and consistent with funding requirements.
- Develop relationships with agency partners and seek out professional development opportunities to increase ability to provide excellent technical assistance to farmers on FSA programs and farm business planning.
- Work with supervisor to compile and write project reports as required by the funder.
- Work collaboratively with the Farm Advocacy program and Direct Service Team to provide comprehensive farmer support and impact tracking.
- Adhere to and respect the organization’s policies and procedures including submission of reports on a timely basis, attendance at required meetings, etc.
- Knowledge of and experience with farm business growth and development planning and with FSA loan programs. Demonstrate a solid basic understanding of how FSA loan programs work.
- Proven verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills that are effective with people of varying backgrounds and computer literacy.
- Proven ability to consistently track and record project metrics and evaluation criteria.
- Experience working with BIPOC communities and/or farmers is a plus
- Commitment to teamwork and ability to proficiently function independently. Self-starter; self-directed work style.
- Must be able to manage multiple technical assistance cases and assignments at once
- Previous experience working in a nonprofit setting is a plus.
- Authentic commitment to the mission of RAFI-USA: to challenge the root causes of unjust food systems, supporting and advocating for economically, racially, and ecologically just farm communities
RAFI-USA values an equitable and inclusive workplace. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a deep commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBTQ persons, and other individuals from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other historically marginalized backgrounds are encouraged to apply. RAFI-USA is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental handicap, matriculation, or political affiliation.