Pittsboro, North Carolina, United States | Full-time
Are you looking to use your knowledge and experience to help farmers of color implement climate-smart, regenerative production practices on their farms? Are you an active listener and collaborator who can balance a variety of responsibilities? Would you like to work with a successful, multi-faceted organization at the forefront of making food systems more equitable? Consider applying for RAFI-USA’s Climate Smart Agriculture Technical Assistance Provider.
Provide Climate Smart Agricultural and Forestry Practices Technical Assistance (50%)
- For farmers recruited to the Certified Regenerative pilot project, provide one-on-one technical assistance to assess and identify climate-smart agricultural and forestry practices that are a good match for the farm operation and are in line with A Greener World’s certification standards.
- Assist the farmer in completing their regenerative plan and emissions reduction plan, and apply for climate-smart practice implementation grant funds.
- Develop outreach content to inform farmers about A Greener World’s Regenerative certification and the financial assistance available through RAFI-USA to complete the certification process.
Recruit Farmer Participants and Farm Ambassadors (25%)
- Onboard and coordinate the Farm Ambassadors, a group of farmers who have already completed the Certified Regenerative process, to serve as paid mentors to farmers developing their regenerative plan.
Project Partner Collaboration (10%)
- This role will collaborate internally with the Farmers of Color Network team, as well as external partners involved in the Climate Smart Commodities grant, to ensure that project deliverables are met. This may include collaborating with A Greener World to increase market demand for farmers with Certified Regenerative products.
Grant Data and Outcome Tracking (15%)
- Consistently and accurately use RAFI-USA’s technical assistance case tracking systems and the USDA COMET-farm tool to collect farmer case intake, case progress, and project outcome data.
Required skills, knowledge, and abilities:
- Demonstrated experience working with farmers, particularly small and underserved farmers, and strong knowledge of farming practices, production methods, business management, and marketing strategies.
- Expert-level knowledge of climate-smart practices, emissions reduction, or regenerative agricultural and forestry practices, whole-farm systems, and capacity to stay current with relevant research and best practices
- Self-starter: can take initiative both on projects and technical assistance plans, and seek information independently.
- Ability to actively listen to farmers’ ideas, challenges, and opportunities and collaboratively develop tailored plans to reach their operational goals.
- Ability to manage and make progress on numerous farmers’ technical assistance cases concurrently.
- Desire to help farmers implement more climate-smart production practices.
- Skills in project management including record keeping, planning, budgets, and data organization, preferably in a farming context.
- Willingness and ability to travel and perform farm visits under a variety of conditions.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
Desired skills, knowledge, and abilities:
- Strong interpersonal skills, and experience working with underserved farming populations
- Experience working in Salesforce or other CRM
- Experience with case management
- Experience with COMET-farm tool
- Knowledge of Certified Regenerative or other similar certification program standards
- Experience performing certification audits and/or mock audits
- Works well within a team environment
- Knowledge of mapping systems and tools
Compensation: Full-time position. Annual salary of $51,750 based on 40 hours/week. This salary is based on RAFI-USA’s salary matrix and is non-negotiable. Generous benefits package includes paid time off, 401k, medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and long/short-term disability insurance plans. This position is fully grant-funded for 3 years.
Location: On-site preferred; remote is also an option
Travel: Some travel required (3-5 trips a month, occasionally may require overnight stays)
Contact Lisa Misch with questions: [email protected]