Application open until position is filled.
Rural Advancement Foundation International-USA (RAFI-USA) seeks a talented individual to conduct outreach and provide technical assistance on climate-smart conservation practices and NRCS programs to BIPOC farmers throughout the Southeast, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands. The Program Coordinator will work under the supervision of the Director of Farmer Outreach and Technical Assistance.
- Work as a part of a RAFI-USA team and with external project partners to identify and develop outreach materials addressing farmers’ top conservation, climate-smart agriculture, and NRCS program needs and concerns.
- Work with NRCS program expert consultants to develop a train-the-trainer curriculum for project partners. Participate in trainings.
- Disseminate culturally, regionally relevant outreach materials to BIPOC farmers and ranchers.
- Coordinate educational webinars on NRCS programs and climate-smart agriculture practices including NRCS staff and farmer guest presenters.
- Provide one-on-one technical assistance to farmers on NRCS program and conservation practices based on RAFI-USA’s technical assistance processes
- Conduct listening sessions with BIPOC farmers regarding barriers to accessing NRCS programs or climate-smart agriculture practices.
- Develop relationships with NRCS agency partners and seek out professional development opportunities to increase ability to provide excellent technical assistance to farmers on NRCS, conversation, or climate-smart agriculture programs.
- Support the administrative, evaluative, and reporting requirements of the project.
- Participate in RAFI-USA’s Direct Service Team
- Adhere to and respect the organization’s policies and procedures including submission of reports on a timely basis, attendance at required meetings, etc.
- Knowledge of and experience with NRCS programs, climate-smart agriculture, or agriculture conservation practices.
- Experience working with BIPOC communities and/or farmers preferred.
- Proven verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills that are effective with people of varying backgrounds and computer literacy.
- Proven ability to work in collaborative, team-based settings and also have the ability to proficiently function independently.
- Must be able to manage multiple technical assistance cases and assignments at once
- Previous experience working in a nonprofit setting is a plus.
- Spanish language proficiency is a plus.
- Authentic commitment to the mission of RAFI-USA: to challenge the root causes of unjust food systems, supporting and advocating for economically, racially, and ecologically just farm communities
Compensation: Full-time position. Annual salary of $47,050 based on 40 hours/week. Generous benefits package includes paid time off, 401k, medical, dental, life, and long/short term disability insurance plans. The position is funded through a two-year federal cooperative agreement.
Location: Candidates local to the Triangle area of North Carolina strongly preferred.
RAFI-USA’s workplace policies require all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, unless medical or religious exemptions are present.
Rural Advancement Foundation International-USA (RAFI-USA) challenges the root causes of unjust food systems, supporting and advocating for economically, racially, and ecologically just farm communities. We envision a thriving, sustainable, and equitable food system where farmers and farm workers have dignity and agency; where they are supported by just agricultural policies; and where corporations and institutions are accountable to their community.
RAFI-USA values an equitable and inclusive workplace. We are deeply committed to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBTQ persons, and other individuals from diverse backgrounds. Research shows that often women and people from underrepresented groups only apply to jobs for which they meet 100% of the qualifications. RAFI-USA is interested in attracting a diverse pool of candidates who have managed complex projects or programs, supported farmers, and want to contribute as a part of a dedicated, hard-working, collaborative team, driven by equity. You need not check every box. If much of this describes you, we encourage you to apply.
RAFI-USA is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental handicap, matriculation, or political affiliation.