RAFI-USA seeks a highly organized Program Manager for the Farmers of Color Network (FOCN) program. FOCN was launched in 2017 to more intentionally support farmers of color located in the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic regions of the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico. FOCN provides educational resources, technical assistance, infrastructure improvement funding, and opportunities for farmer-to-farmer sharing as well as engagement in policy change.
This position works closely with the Farmers of Color Network team and reports to the Farmers of Color Network Director.
Manage activities and deliverables that meet the FOCN program goals of strengthening the economic viability of people of color who own and/or operate farms; providing technical assistance services to farmers; coordinating farmer-to-farmer connections and community; and uplifting the voices of farmers of color to drive policies and narrative change.
- Conduct intake, needs assessment, interview, and orientation with new farmer members; maintain up-to-date farmer records in the Salesforce database
- Track and report annual, quarterly, and monthly membership demographics
- Help organize educational programming, relationship-building activities, and enhanced market access activities that are related to farmer needs
- Contribute to visioning, evaluation, and improvement of the program
- Support communications efforts by engaging collaboratively to help develop and distribute program content, quarterly newsletters, publications, and other materials
- Stay apprised of BIPOC farmer needs to inform program services provision and inform policy priorities
Manage FOCN regranting activities from application development to grant funds processing and site visits.
- Support outreach and collection of applications; respond to phone or email inquiries and provide assistance to applicants as needed
- Manage application review process of applications by RAFI-USA staff and a farmer advisory board
- Collect and track grant awardee agreements and other required documentation
- Responsible for regranting budget, funding sources, monitoring, and payment tracking
Location of Position: RAFI-USA office – Pittsboro, NC. We are currently working in a hybrid in-office / remote model and have a phased return-to-office policy in effect.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sometimes sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing.
Travel Expectations: 5-10% (mostly in-state / day trips and stakeholder engagement activities, conferences, some overnight travel).
Status: Salaried, full-time, exempt (1 FTE)
Essential/required skills and knowledge:
COVID-19 vaccine requirement: RAFI-USA’s workplace policies require all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless medical or religious exemptions are present.
- One year of program management experience
- Deep knowledge and experience with racial equity and intersectional frameworks
- Ability to develop and sustain trusting, collaborative relationships with a broad set of stakeholders and bridge communications across stakeholder groups to advance the work and foster trust
- Experience with agriculture or in food system/food justice movement work
- Authentic commitment to the mission of RAFI-USA: to challenge the root causes of unjust food systems, supporting and advocating for economically, racially, and ecologically just farm communities
Compensation: Full-time position. Annual salary of $57,137 based on 40 hours/week. Generous benefits package includes paid time off, 401k, medical, dental, life, and long/short term disability insurance plans.
We will be accepting applications until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Rural Advancement Foundation International-USA (RAFI-USA) challenges the root causes of unjust food systems, supporting and advocating for economically, racially, and ecologically just farm communities. We envision a thriving, sustainable, and equitable food system where farmers and farm workers have dignity and agency; where they are supported by just agricultural policies; and where corporations and institutions are accountable to their community.
RAFI-USA values an equitable and inclusive workplace. We are deeply committed to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBTQ persons, and other individuals from diverse backgrounds. Research shows that often women and people from underrepresented groups only apply to jobs for which they meet 100% of the qualifications. RAFI-USA is interested in attracting a diverse pool of candidates who have managed complex projects or programs, supported farmers, and who want to contribute as a part of a dedicated, hard-working, collaborative team, driven by equity. You need not check every box. If much of this describes you, we encourage you to apply.
RAFI-USA is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental handicap, matriculation, or political affiliation.