RAFI-USA seeks an organized and efficient individual to assist the Farmers of Color Network (FOCN) team with administrative and program support functions. Founded in 2017, the FOCN serves BIPOC farmers in five major areas: grant funding and assisting farmers with accessing other financial resources; on-farm technical assistance; increasing market visibility and facilitating market solutions; peer support, including work and learning exchanges; and cultural gatherings that uplift the history, culture, agricultural expertise, and story of farmers of color.
The FOCN Project Coordinator’s primary role will be to assist with the administrative aspects of farmer relationship management, such as data collection and management and collaborating with FOCN staff on newsletter, webinar, and social media content creation highlighting the stories of various farmers, and FOCN events and projects. The ideal candidate will demonstrate strong attention to detail, ability to work with an effective blend of autonomy and accountability, and communicate well across programs. Some experience working within agricultural communities is preferred.
The position exists within RAFI-USA’s Just Foods Program and reports to the FOCN Program Manager.
- A sound equity analysis and understanding of the history and challenges of farmers of color;
- Experience working in the nonprofit sector and/or human services a plus;
- Experience working with farmer co-ops, and farmer direct to consumer markets;
- Understands relational based-farmer organizing with an emphasis on agrarian social movements;
- Experience with data entry and working with a CRM – proficiency with Salesforce preferred;
- Enthusiasm for and skill creating story-driven social media and newsletter content;
- Fluency in G-Suite programs, Mailchimp, and Survey Monkey.
Coordinate and Support-Capacity for Farmer Collaborative Projects (40%)
- Assist in assessing and building farmers’ capacity to participate in various markets. Work with farmers, FOCN team, and/or across programs to remove impediments to market access and garner resources.
- Collaborate with FMPP (USDA Farmers Market Promotion Program) Coordinator to coordinate new and emerging direct to consumer markets and cooperative farmer initiatives.
Farmer Intake, Assessment, and Information Organizing (30%)
- Schedule follow-up and intake for new FOCN members with FOCN Sr. Program Manager or Program Manager. Assist with farmer surveys and needs assessment(s).
- Add farmers to Mailchimp and CRM software.
Communications Support (20%)
- Help collect and coordinate information with communications director for FOCN Newsletter
- Coordinate with the communications director to create, review/edit, and ensure that content is ready for website, member mailings, or social media posting.
- Outreach about FOCN events, funding opportunities, and projects.
Administrative and Research (10%)
- Participate in`RAFI team working groups and internal weekly/monthly meetings
- Research information and opportunities for new areas of program development
- Keep the FOCN and RAFI staff updated on work and deliverables.
Employment Type: Full Time (32-40 hours/week)
Compensation: Paid hourly at $21.00 per hour. Fringe benefits include paid time off, 401k, and option to participate in health and dental, life or long/short term disability insurance plans.
Duration: This is a 1 year position, from January 15, 2021, to January 15, 2022 with the possibility of being extended.
How to Apply: Submit a resume and cover letter. We will be accepting applications until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Rural Advancement Foundation International-USA’s (RAFI-USA) mission is to challenge the root causes of unjust food systems, supporting and advocating for economically, racially, and ecologically just farm communities. We work across agricultural sectors, collaboratively through coalitions and cross-programmatically. RAFI-USA works nationally and internationally, focusing on North Carolina and the southeastern United States. RAFI-USA is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization based in Pittsboro, North Carolina and incorporated in 1990.