Last Updated: 5/11/2021
How We’re Supporting Impacted Farmers
RAFI-USA staff continues our current work on issues affecting farmers and rural communities. In addition, we are evaluating what other work may be needed to mitigate the health and economic impacts of the pandemic, as well as recovery efforts afterwards. Some of our COVID-19 response work over the last year included:
- Supporting farmers markets and farmers whose marketing channels were impacted.
- Offering emergency mini-grants for farmers who experienced a drastic loss of income as a result of the virus and needed immediate assistance for household expenses.
- Awarding grants through the Farmers of Color Network with consideration of how this grants program could better meet the needs of farmers given the impacts of COVID-19 on their businesses.
- Advocating for policies that provide necessary COVID-19 relief to farmers, farmers markets, farm workers, local feeding efforts, and agricultural communities in general.
Grant & Loan Opportunities For Farmers
COVID-19 Farmer Resources – Visit this blog for information about grants and loans.
Navigating COVID-19 Relief for Farmers – a helpful guide summarizing currently COVID-19 relief available
Webinars & Information
- Create a Free Online Store for your Farm – PowerPoint Presentation by NC Cooperative Extension educator, Debbie Roos. Includes step-by-step instructions.
- Farmers’ Guide to Direct Sales Software Platforms – National Young Farmers Coalition
- COVID-19 Farming Resources from NC Cooperative Extension
- A thorough list of resources for farmers related to COVID-19 from the ATTRA Sustainable Agriculture Program. Includes information about food safety, financial assistance, alternative markets, and resources in Spanish.
For Farmers Market Managers, Farmworkers & Communities
- Facebook Live webinar regarding the impact of COVID-19 on farm workers communities.
- Guidance for farmers markets from the Farmers Market Coalition
- Community garden guidelines during the COVID-19 pandemic – NC A&T, Cooperative Extensions
- Farmworker “Know Your Rights” resources from North Carolina Justice Center
- Where to Buy Local: map of farms in NC and SC providing on-farm, pick-up, or home delivery sales, Carolina Farm Stewardship Association
- Meat Suite is a website designed to help consumers in NY and NC find locally produced, high quality meats in bulk
- Connect with local farms using the Visit NC Farm App and arrange for curbside pickup or delivery of seasonal products
Ways to Help
- Donate to RAFI-USA: with your support we can continue to adapt our programming and policy advocacy to support farmers, farmworkers, and rural communities impacted by COVID-19
- List of requested donations for NC farmworkers impacted by COVID-19, Episcopal Farmworkers Ministry
In an effort to do our part for social distancing, RAFI-USA staff members are working remotely until further notice. Events and meetings that were scheduled have been cancelled or postponed. Due to our flexible work from home policy, RAFI-USA staff are equipped to continue our work remotely.