Pittsboro, North Carolina, United States | Full-time | Partially remote
Rural Advancement Foundation International-USA (RAFI-USA) challenges the root causes of unjust food systems, supporting and advocating for economically, racially, and ecologically just farm communities. We envision a thriving, sustainable, and equitable food system where farmers and farmworkers have dignity and agency; where they are supported by just agricultural policies; and where corporations and institutions are accountable to their community.
Job description: The Climate and Equity Policy Lead will serve as issue lead on our climate and equity policy portfolio, building relationships with farmers of color and organizations led by and serving farmers of color, in order to advance policy priorities within the Farm Bill and beyond. As a member of RAFI-USA’s Policy Team, the Climate and Equity Policy Lead will also have a significant focus on communications, both broadly to grassroots supporters and directly with farmers and other stakeholders, including coordinating and administering the Policy Team’s Farmer/Stakeholder Advisors initiative. The Policy Lead will also coordinate trainings, meetings, and communications with the Climate & Equity cohort. This position reports to the Policy Director.
Primary position responsibilities
- Work with Climate & Equity Grantee organizations: plan trainings, meetings, and events, provide support and resources as needed, consult with organizations on policy issues, and coordinate additional rounds of funding as needed
- Serve as climate & equity policy issue lead: represent and help develop RAFI-USA’s policy positions related to climate and equity issues within the Farm Bill and beyond. Track issue and bill development, keep the policy team informed and ensure RAFI-USA’s policy positions are rooted in farmer/stakeholder experiences and needs. Advocate for RAFI-USA’s policy priorities with policymakers.
- Contribute to the organization’s policy communications: support other issue leads in developing public-facing communications (action alerts, blog posts, social media, press releases, etc), to educate the public about RAFI-USA’s policy priorities and share advocacy opportunities.
- Coordinate and facilitate a routine engagement strategy with the farmers and stakeholders who advise the policy team. Support issue leads in their communications with advisors and provide administrative support.
Required skills, knowledge, and abilities:
- Excellent communication skills, especially written communication. Ability to translate complex or obscure policy information in a simple and understandable way for a general audience.
- Active learner; ability to seek information independently and self-educate. Willingness/ability to dive into details.
- Knowledge of policy issues related to just and sustainable agriculture.
- Strong relational skills: ability to listen, to both provide and receive feedback and to build trust while navigating differences of opinions or priority.
- Strategic thinking: ability to analyze information and make connections between issues and areas of work.
- Well-organized with the ability to adapt to changing circumstances and a fast-paced environment
Desired skills, knowledge, and abilities:
- Experience in policy advocacy: experience lobbying, and/or experience with grassroots mobilization. If no experience, a willingness to learn is required.
- Self-starter: can take initiative both on projects and work plans, and seek information independently
- Conversational Spanish a plus
Compensation: Full-time, exempt position. Annual salary of $51,750 – $62,858 (depending on experience) based on 40 hours/week. Generous benefits package includes paid time off, 401k, medical, dental, life insurance, and long/short-term disability insurance plans.
Location: Remote, with some preference for candidates in North Carolina or Washington, DC. Employees based in the Piedmont region of North Carolina are expected to spend 1-2 days in our Pittsboro office weekly.
Contact/application information: Please no calls or emails.
COVID & EEOC Statement:
RAFI-USA’s workplace policies require all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless medical or religious exemptions are present.
RAFI-USA is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental handicap, matriculation, or political affiliation.
Equitable & Inclusive Workplace Statement:
RAFI-USA values an equitable and inclusive workplace. We are deeply committed to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBTQ persons, and other individuals from diverse backgrounds. Research shows that often women and people from underrepresented groups only apply to jobs for which they meet 100% of the qualifications. RAFI-USA is interested in attracting a diverse pool of candidates who want to contribute as a part of a dedicated, hard-working, collaborative team, driven by equity. You need not check every box. If much of this describes you, we encourage you to apply.