USDA has extended the deadline for public comments on its first Packers and Stockyards Act rule, Transparency in Poultry Contracting and Tournaments, to Tuesday, August 23, 2022. In doing so, USDA specifically stressed that, due to retaliation concerns, contract poultry growers may submit comments anonymously. Below, you can learn how to comment on USDA’s rule anonymously and access a comment template and some other helpful resources. Additionally, you can still complete RAFI-USA’s anonymous contract grower survey and have your feedback presented anonymously in RAFI-USA’s comment to USDA.
Complete RAFI-USA’s anonymous contract grower survey
How can I comment anonymously on USDA’s rule?
To submit a comment to USDA regarding its poultry transparency rule, click the link above or visit www.regulations.gov and search the rule’s docket number, AMS-FTPP-21-0044-0227. Once you have arrived at the transparency rule’s comment submission page, follow the following steps:
- Compose your comment in the provided text field, or attach your comment as a document using the attachment field. Leave the email address field empty.
- Under the comment entry fields, you will see selection buttons — click the “Anonymous” button.
- Check the reCAPTCHA checkbox.
- Click Submit.
If an instructional video would also be helpful, check out USDA’s.
What should I say in my comment?
The short answer is, whatever you feel is important! Specifically, tell USDA whether you support or oppose its rule, share stories about your experience in the poultry industry that give context to your viewpoint, and give any feedback you have on how the rule could be improved. If you would like to add your own stories or feedback to a pre-prepared template, you can access one we’ve created by following the instructions below:
- Follow this link
- In the top left corner, click “File,” then “Download,” and then “Microsoft Word,” or, if you would prefer to make your own Google Doc copy, click “File,” and then “Make a Copy.”
- Edit the template in whatever way you see fit, and specifically, add your own content in place of the highlighted text.
Tell me more about this rule!
For more context about USDA’s rule, check out our blog article USDA’s New Poultry Industry Transparency Rule Explained!
I have more questions, who can I talk to?
Feel free to contact us, we’d be happy to talk more!