In 2019 RAFI-USA, in partnership with Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina, launched the Double Bucks Incentive Program at six Triangle-area farmers markets. This program doubles the buying power of EBT and WIC FMNP purchases as well as matches cash purchases from WIC clients and Section 8 Housing residents. There is no matching cap for the Double Bucks program. Five rural farmers markets were added to the program in 2020. The program is available every week during market hours.
The participating Triangle area markets are:
- Durham Farmers’ Market
- South Durham Farmers’ Market
- East Durham Market
- Carrboro Farmers’ Market
- Chapel Hill Farmers’ Market
- The Eno River Farmers’ Market
The participating rural markets are
- Stanly Commons Market
- Ashe County Farmers Market
- Leroy James Farmers Market
- Market Square Farmers Market
- Morganton Farmers Market
Types of Incentives
- SNAP/EBT – match SNAP/EBT purchases dollar for dollar, no matching limit
- WIC & Senior FMNP – match the value of each voucher dollar for dollar with Double Bucks tokens
- Cash Matching – match cash purchases from SNAP/EBT recipients, WIC clients, and Section 8 Housing residents
Here is how it works:
- Decide how much to spend at the market.
- Visit the Info Table at the market.
- Let the market staff know how much money you would like to spend.
- Market staff will swipe your SNAP/EBT card, stamp your WIC or Senior FMNP check, or exchange cash from WIC clients and Section 8 Housing residents and give you $1 wooden tokens to spend at the market. We will also match what you spend in Double Bucks tokens. Ex, spend $15 in SNAP and get $30 to spend at the market.
- Use tokens at any stand that offers EBT-eligible products. Remember that no change will be given but farmers are happy to help make your purchase to the whole dollar!
- Tokens never expire and can be spent on any market day. Each market’s tokens have a specific stamp and can only be spent at that market.